Blue Plaque: Gordon Welchman


On 26th September 2016 the blue plaque shown was placed on the wall outside the Sacristy at St Mary’s Church, Fishponds, Bristol, in honour of Gordon Welchman.

Gordon was the son of the Rev. W. Welchman MA, who was vicar of St Mary’s from 1901 until 1907 and later Canon and Archdeacon of Bristol from 1927 until 1938.

Gordon studied mathematics from an early age and won a scholarship to Cambridge University to continue his studies. This resulted in a first class honours degree and he went on to become head of Hut 6 at Bletchley Park where he was instrumental, with others, in breaking the ENIGMA codes during the second world war.

For more information about Gordon Welchman, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Welchman