When St. Mary’s opened in its original form in 1821 there was no organ or robed choir. Any singers and instumentalists were situated on a gallery at the west end of the church. In 1871 the chancel was extended and the gallery dismantled. An organ by the local Bristol company Vowles was provided in the north east corner of the chancel. The instrument was presented by the Misses Mirehouse following a fund-raising bazaar at the Zoological Gardens.
In 1938 the organ was overhauled and moved to the west end with a detached console provided behind the choir stalls on the north side of the chancel. Despite some slight problems of coordination with choir and congregation this fine organ sounds to advantage from this position.
A major, and very expensive, overhaul of the instrument is overdue and we are at present looking at how to find the funds for this.
|Open Diapason 8′||Open Diapason 8′||Open Diapason 16′||Great to Pedal|
|Clarabella 8′||Stopped Diapason 8′||Bourdon 16′||Swell to Pedal|
|Gamba 8′||Viole d’Orchestre 8′||Bass Flute 8′||Swell to Great|
|Dulciana 8′||Celeste 8′||Octave|
|Flute 4′||Gemshorn 4′||Suboctave|
|Principal 4′||Piccolo 2′||Unison off|
|Twelfth 22⁄3‘||Cornopean 8′||Tremulant|
|Fifteenth 2′||Oboe 8′|
Click the player to hear a selection of music being played on the organ by Richard Morgan.