“Go on your way. See, I am sending you out.”Luke 10:3
Greetings dear friends,
This week Christians across the world have celebrated the festival of the martyrdom of Saints Peter and Paul. Peter’s confession that Jesus was the Messiah led Jesus to say to him: ‘On this rock I will build my church.’ Peter as the pre-eminent Apostle represents all of us as God’s people – as the one who originally received the authority of Jesus to build his church that we now belong to. If you have ever been to Rome you may have seen the awesome statues of the Apostles on top of St Peter’s Basilica, with St Peter standing holding the keys of the kingdom in the square in front.
Petertide has therefore traditionally been a time when ordinations happen – when people who have responded to the call of God, begin their ministries within his church.
Bishop Viv will celebrating two service of ordination this weekend, and we are delighted that a few of our friends from this benefice will be among the candidates!
- On Saturday 2nd, Revd Diane will continue to the next stage of her ordained ministry by being ordained as a Priest, and
- On Sunday 3rd, Sharon Gleed and Sarah Heywood will begin their ordained ministry by being made Deacons and will then go on to serve as Curates in their new parishes.
We wish them every blessing and joy and as they enter into this new phase of their ministries!
With all that said, there is a slight change to our pattern of worship this weekend to allow people from both congregations the space to go to the Cathedral for these wonderful services if they would like to. The main thing to be aware of that there will be no morning service at St Mary’s this weekend.
Our services this Sunday 3rd July, are therefore:
- 10.30am Holy Communion at All Saints with Rev Janey
- 6.30pm (said) Holy Communion at St Mary’s with Rev Lizzie
In the week ahead, we have:
- Wednesday 6th July – 9.00am Celtic Morning Prayer at All Saints
- Thursday 7th July – 10.00am Holy Communion at St Mary’s when Rev Diane will celebrate her first Holy Communion as a Priest
Next Sunday 10th July, we have:
- 8am Holy Communion at All Saints with Rev Janey
- 10am Holy Communion at St Mary’s with Rev Janey
- 10.30am All Age Holy Communion at All Saints with Rev Diane and Rev Lizzie
Lots to celebrate!
As Diane, Sharon and Sarah enter into new stages of their life and ministry, we are reminded in the readings this week that God calls all of us to take part in his work and ministry in the world – Jesus’ words “Go on your way. See, I am sending you out” are for each on of us to respond to.
The words from the hymn ‘Go forth and tell’, by James Seddon, put this call so beautifully and clearly,
Go forth and tell! God’s love embraces all;
he will in grace respond to all who call:
how shall they call if they have never heard
the gracious invitation of his word?
Go forth and tell! O church of God, arise!
go in the strength which Christ your Lord supplies;
go till all nations his great name adore
and serve him, Lord and king for evermore
May you know afresh God’s call, invitation, grace and strength as you seek to serve him and draw others into his all-embracing love.